The Good Dinosaur (2015) Blu-ray Review, a Disney • Pixar movie directed by Peter Sohn and starring Raymond Ochoa as Arlo, Jack Bright as Spot, Sam Elliott as Butch, Jeffrey Wright as Poppa and Steve Zahn as Thunderclap.
Release Date: February 23, 2016
The Good Dinosaur asks the question: What if the asteroid that forever changed life on Earth missed the planet completely and giant dinosaurs never became extinct? In this epic journey into the world of dinosaurs, an Apatosaurus named Arlo makes an unlikely human friend. While traveling through a harsh and mysterious landscape, Arlo learns the power of confronting his fears and discovers what he is truly capable of.
Run Time: Approx. 94 minutes
Blu-ray Bonus Content
- Sanjay’s Super Team (1080p, DTS-HD MA 7.1, 7:07): A short film about make-believe adventures during prayer time and father-son bonding.
- True Lies About Dinosaurs (1080p, 1:56): A quick run through some of the fictional elements that appear in the movie and modern man’s understanding, or lack thereof, about dinosaurs.
- Recyclosaurus (1080p, 6:19): Pixar employees build makeshift dinosaurs from donated goods.
- The Filmmakers’ Journey (1080p, 7:54): A look at the challenges of a first feature, the shooting schedule, story themes, location scouting, team camaraderie, and other fun insights into the filmmaking process.
- Every Part of the Dinosaur (1080p, 6:08): A closer look at character construction, digitally in particular and how visual nuance helps define the characters and the movie’s themes.
- Following the T-Rex Trail (1080p, 6:58): The movie’s crew travels to a real cattle ranch to find inspiration for a T-Rex family in the movie.
- Deleted Scenes (1080p): The feature begins with a director Introduction (0:35) and follows with three scenes: The Attack (2:29), Building the Silo (4:30), and Waiting for Poppa (3:05). Each scene begins with a director introduction.
- Audio Commentary: Director Peter Sohn; Story Supervisor Kelsey Mann; Animation Supervisor Mike Venturini; Director of Photography, Lighting Sharon Calahan; and Supervising Technical Director Sanjay Bakshi participate. Following introductions and descriptions of what the participants did on the movie, they discuss the movie’s style, story and themes, location inspirations, the movie’s visual structure and style, character design, digital animation, and much more. The track sounds a little rehearsed rather than organic, but there’s a ton of great information here for adults curious as to how the movie came together.
- Dino Bites (1080p, 4:15): Many of the film’s characters have fun for the camera.
- Hide and Seek (1080p, 0:59): Arlo and Spot play hide-and-seek.
- Trailers (1080p): Moment: North American Trailer 2 (2:25), Courage: Russian Trailer (2:30), and Different: German Trailer (2:03)
Audio, Video, and Plot Assessment
Leave your thoughts on The Good Dinosaur Blu-ray disc set, and this review, below in the comments section. For more Blu-ray reviews, visit our Blu-ray Review Page, and consider subscribing to us by Email, following us on Twitter, Tumblr, Google+, or “liking” us on Facebook for quick updates.