I recently watched the animated Wonder Woman film (it had a few good and great moments, but far too unrealistic, littered with tanker size plot holes and unnecessary moments of levity) and it and the fantastic DC Universe Online trailer (3 more videos here) got me thinking: Who could really play Wonder Woman in a The Dark Knight-caliber film. She’d have to have looks, brawn, and the audience would have to believe she could kick a man’s ass. I brought up Megan Fox for the role in this post: Megan Fox Wonder Woman Poster but I was in error. After seeing the muscle Jessica Biel put on for Blade Trinity, I thought she would be a good fit for Diana of Themyscira, also Angelina Jolie. Now I believe MMA fighter Gina Carano would be the perfect choice.
Why would I pick Gina Carano – a girl that has made only one movie to date (Haywire) – you ask. Alrighty, fair enough. Here we go. This is why I would pick Gina Carano to play Wonder Woman:
1. She has marketable looks.
2. She’s muscular and possesses an athletic physique. For proof, check this out: Gina Carano ESPN Magazine The Body Issue Cover October 2009
3. She has the classic, sculpted Grecian body for the Archaic role.
4. She can do all her own stunts.
5. The fight scenes would be dramatically more realistic. She fights for a living in a octagon. Her recent fight with Cyborg: TV Review: Strikeforce Women’s Featherweight Fight: Gina Carano vs. Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos
6. She is a virtual unknown in the acting world thus adding to her believability as Dina.
7. She can stand toe-to-toe with most ordinary men in a real life fight, which would lend itself to her credibility as an Amazon warrior.
8. She has a genuine mixture of femininity and toughness, a balance that a few like Demi Moore, Lucy Lawless, and Hilary Swank have been able to pull off in the past. I do not know if actresses like Jessica Lowndes, Amanda Righetti, and Morena Baccarin have the x-factor Gina Carano possesses.
I hope the studio does not go the bankable-recognized face route with the inevitable film like they have in the past.
Whom would you pick to play Wonder Woman in a live-action film and why would you pick them?